What to do with ambulance debt

Revenue NSW collect unpaid fees on behalf of the Ambulance Service, but you may be exempt from paying them.

If you receive treatment and/or transport from a NSW Ambulance, you need to pay a fee for this service unless you are exempt from payment. 

When you receive an invoice from NSW Ambulance you must:

  • Pay the invoice by the due date or 
  • Enter into a payment arrangement or
  • Lodge an exemption

You may be exempt from NSW Ambulance fees if you are a resident of NSW and hold a concession card or have private health insurance cover.

When should you do this?

If you are a pension or concession cardholder at the time of service, you may be exempt from paying unpaid ambulance fees. Eligible concession cards include:

  • Health Care Concession Card
  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Department of Veterans Affairs Card
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card

If you hold private health insurance at the time of service, you do not need to pay ambulance fees. You can lodge a health fund exemption through the Revenue NSW website.


Do not do this if:

If you were visiting NSW from another state when you received a service from NSW Ambulance and are not covered under a concession card. You will need to contact the relevant service in your home state for information on exemptions.

infoImportant things to know

COVID -19 Exemptions

Any patient who receives an invoice from NSW Ambulance and their reason for treatment and/or transport is related to COVID-19, will be exempt from paying the invoice. The same applies for patients who have had an adverse reaction to a COVID-19 vaccine. Patients who receive an invoice can contact NSW Ambulance on 1300 655 200 to request an exemption. An exemption can also be lodged online – refer to useful links. Please login with your invoice number and follow the prompts.

Be quick

You will get a debt recovery fee of $65 if you fail to lodge your exemption by the due date of the debt notice. Health funds will not cover debt recovery fees. Revenue NSW can also issue garnishee orders for unpaid Ambulance fees.

Don't agree?

If you do not agree you should have to pay the ambulance fee, contact the issuing authority directly.

What to do

How to apply for an exemption if you’re a concession cardholder

You can apply for an exemption by contacting Revenue NSW by phone or providing your concession card number online.

How to apply for an exemption if you hold private health insurance

You can apply for an exemption by lodging a health fund exemption online. Some health fund providers require you to complete a claim form and provide a copy of your ambulance invoice before payment can be made on your behalf. You should contact your fund directly if you’re not sure.

How to enter a payment arrangement

If you’re not exempt, but you can not afford to pay your ambulance fees in a lump sum, you can enter into a payment arrangement. You will pay a smaller amount on a fortnightly basis until the debt is paid. Contact the issuing authority directly to discuss this arrangement.

Get these results in an email

We won't collect your email or use it for anything else

Was this page helpful?

cautionPlease don’t ignore your fine

If you do not take action by the due date you may pay more and be stopped from driving or using your car.