Seek a write off

If you are experiencing severe financial hardship you can ask Revenue NSW to waive your fine debt. 

If you are unable to pay your fine debt through any of the available payment options, you can ask Revenue for a write off. Revenue NSW might waive the debt or reject your application.

When should you do this?

If you are experiencing financial hardship as a result of:

  • Domestic circumstances, such as domestic violence, homelessness or the impacts of a natural disaster.
  • Medical circumstances, such as mental illness, intellectual or cognitive disabilities, serious health issues or addictions.


Do not do this if:

  • You were not responsible for the fine debt.
  • If your application relates to a loss of demerit points. A write off will  not remove demerit points.
infoImportant things to know

Making it count

You can apply for a write off of the fine debt in full or part of it. In each case proof of your hardship must be included in your application.

The terms

If a write off is approved and your circumstances change or you receive a new overdue fine notice within five years, the debt may be reinstated. It is a good idea to get legal advice before sending in your application.

Keeping your options open

If your application is rejected, you can appeal the decision or look at other payment options.

How to apply

You can apply for a write off in writing or online through the Revenue NSW website. Revenue NSW contact details are on the fine.

You will need to explain why you think a write off is appropriate. You will also need to provide a completed statement of financial circumstances, 3 months of bank statements and supporting documents that relate to your situation.

There are guidelines that Revenue NSW should follow when you request a write off. If they refuse your application, you can apply to the Fines Hardship Review Board. The Board will independently look at your case and can overturn the Revenue NSW decision. 

We have included a link to helpful information and the application form.

If you are sending a written application, we have created a helpful template you can use to apply. Make sure you carefully edit it with your own circumstances before submitting.

It is a good idea to get legal advice before sending in your application, especially if you are unable to get the supporting documentation required.

How it works

Make a write off application

Complete the online application form explaining why you are unable to pay the fine debt or undertake a Work and Development Order. Include all supporting documentation.

Agency reviews fine

The issuing agency may decide to:

  • Write off the fine in part or in full
  • Reject your application

Further action

If your application for write off is rejected, you can choose to:

  • Ask for a payment plan or extension of time to pay
  • Apply for a Work and Development Order
  • Challenge the decision in a submission to the Fines Hardship Review Board
Useful links
Apply on your own

Get these results in an email

We won't collect your email or use it for anything else

Was this page helpful?

cautionPlease don’t ignore your fine

If you do not take action by the due date you may pay more and be stopped from driving or using your car.