Get a time extension

An extension of time for a penalty is given automatically with a penalty reminder notice. 

An extension of time to pay will only be given for an overdue fine.

If you are having trouble paying off your overdue fine on time, you can request to pay later. You may be given a new due date, or your application will be rejected. 

When should you do this?
  • If you are having trouble paying on time
  • And you will be able to pay the fine in full soon.


infoImportant things to know

Stick to the due date

If Revenue NSW agrees to an extension, make sure you pay the fine by the new due date. If you do not pay on time, further action and costs will be applied.

How to apply

It is best to contact Revenue NSW to find out if you can apply to have an extension of time. The contact details will be on the overdue fine notice. Revenue NSW will talk to you about your situation to decide if an extension is the best option.

How it works

Contact Revenue NSW

  • Call Revenue NSW. The contact details are on the overdue fine notice.

Your application will be reviewed

  • Revenue NSW will grant you a time extension and set you a new date
  • or reject your application

Further action

If your application for extension is rejected, you may like to:

  • request a payment plan
  • or, see if you are eligible for a Work and Development Order

Get these results in an email

We won't collect your email or use it for anything else

Was this page helpful?

cautionPlease don’t ignore your fine

If you do not take action by the due date you may pay more and be stopped from driving or using your car.