Contact your local Community Legal Centre

Community Legal Centres (CLCs) provide free legal services to the public.


Community Legal Centres (often called ‘CLCs’) are independent non-government organisations that provide free legal services to people and communities at times when that help is needed most. Help is mainly provided to people facing economic hardship and discrimination.

CLCs provide a safety net to prevent people’s legal problems from getting worse. Without early legal advice, families can break down and health problems can increase, people can be unnecessarily evicted and can lose their jobs.

There are almost 40 CLCs in NSW.

When to contact a CLC

If you have received a fine in NSW

infoImportant things to know

Free and confidential

CLCs give free and confidential legal help.

How to contact a CLC

To find the CLCs that are suitable for your situation use the Community Legal Centres NSW Recommendation Service.

For more information, go to the CLC NSW website.

What to do

Collect your fines together

  • Group your fines together by stage (penalty notice, penalty reminder notice, overdue fine) or organise them by due date: put the most urgent on the top of the pile
  • You can also get details about your fines from Revenue NSW.

Collect supporting information

If you have other information that proves that you shouldn’t have got some of your fines, collect that too. It may be things like:

  • Proof that you weren’t the driver/responsible person of your car when the fine was issued or that you haven’t committed the offence
  • A doctor’s letter proving that you have a special circumstance that means you shouldn’t have got the fine 
  • A letter from a social worker explaining what your situation is
  • Bank statements or evidence of your income
  • Other evidence that means you can’t pay the fine

Get these results in an email

We won't collect your email or use it for anything else

Was this page helpful?

cautionPlease don’t ignore your fine

If you do not take action by the due date you may pay more and be stopped from driving or using your car.